Friday, March 15, 2013

tiniest shoes ever.

Hi friends, how have you been? 

Sick of winter? Oh, me too! What a coincidence...

Now usually, I am a big fan of the snow. The cold doesn't bother me, and I don't mind it being dark all day either. However... this year things have dragged on a bit too long. I did not get to go snowmobiling, we haven't skied in years (due mostly to the exorbitant cost of a lift ticket) and I did not go sledding as planned.

Instead, I "ran" in the snow. Some thoughts on snow running:

1. In December, it was fun. "Oh look at me, out enjoying the 2 inches of snow... isn't it beautiful out here?"
2. In January, it was still kind of fun. "I can run in the snow, and no one else can because they are weak sissies." That was mostly aimed at the Mister, who complained of sore feet and ankles when I took him along.
3. In February, it was absolutely cussing impossible. "I made it .3 miles and feel like I might die." followed a few days later by, "am I dying?"
4. In March, between the snow and the mud, it has been a nightmare, "I am not running until the weather smartens up and figures out that it's mid march for God's sake!"

Anyway, when we got yet another snow storm last Friday, I was stuck inside working most of the day. When I ran out of work to do, I remembered the fact that I had (yet another) baby shower coming up. So I decided to try and make a present. This present, to be exact:

via Homemade Toast
So I tried to print the pattern... but my printer was out of ink. Queue me tracing the pattern from my laptop screen, than scrambling to find some elastic somewhere in the house... don't worry, I had an old dress that I was able to steal it from.

Here's how it went:

is it me, or do those tiny initials make my thumb look fat?
little pieces

toes, post-baste. Hardy, har, har.

coming together! Pre-toe initialing

All done! Man, these are tiny!

NEVER AGAIN.

So I did it. I'm proud of myself because it was pretty hard and I had to get all Macgyver-y on them to get to the finish line. I don't think they are a useful gift, because I'm fairly certain a baby's feet are only this tiny upon delivery... and they just don't need shoes in the hospital. Basically, I will never make these again. Lucky little Nico (Niko?) Tsontakis will have the only pair.

In any case, I'm pretty sure they are going to be a hit. Personalized baby shoes that someone made with their own hands are quite rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment