Saturday, February 4, 2012

Goin' Simple for the Superbowl

One of our guy-friends is having us over for the Superbowl this year. Last year we had friends at our house, and while it was nice... it's always nicer to go to someone else's place - where you don't have to clean their kitchen the next day.

So after my friend Amanda and I forced our friend Jon to host our gang, we decided it would only be fair to bring some snacks. I'm keeping it simple this time, with my go-to Mexican Dip, some spare salsa and chocolate chip cookies.


Every now and then I go real scientific on cooking. I actually spoon the flour into the measuring cup, and then sift it with the baking soda for even distribution. Sometimes I even sift twice! All in the name of a good light and fluffy sweet. I use a cookie scoop to make nice even-sized drops, so that they all can cook in the same amount of time.


And... just in case you wondered. It doesn't make a damn bit of difference for chocolate chip cookies.


See how flat? Honestly I think it just depends on the recipe. This batch I made with a recipe from the Mr.'s Aunt - her cookies are always very good. But I think she is intentionally leaving steps or ingredients out because these cookies came out rather flat and crisp. Next time, I will use Martha's recipe, because I like a nice soft and lumpy cookie. 


As for the Mexican Dip - well, I can't make that too far ahead or it will get soggy. But, you're in luck because I am going to share the recipe. You will thank me because it's so easy to make. Your family and friends will thank you because it is delicious. And no-one will know that it is yet another recipe that I stole from my Mom.

Mexican Dip:

8 oz cream cheese
8 oz sour cream
Salsa
Shredded cheddar cheese
Shredded lettuce

Mix the sour cream and cream cheese together until it's not lumpy, then spread onto a platter. Keep it a nice thickness, say 1/2 an inch or so. Then cover with a light layer of salsa. Next add on the cheddar cheese and top with the lettuce. You should eat this with Tostitos Scoops: the regular chips are just not strong enough and they don't capture all of the layers like the Scoops can.

Happy Superbowl - go Pats!

No comments:

Post a Comment