Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Purpose in Life.

Don't get scared, loyal readers. This isn't going to be a deep post about how I have some grand purpose here on this little ball of fire we call Earth... you know me better than that.

A friend of mine is working on making babies and recently commented that she felt like she was on this planet to be a mother. Makes sense for her, particularly because she also happens to run a daycare, where she is constantly mothering booger-y little kids (I know, I worked there once). As you can see, I'm not convinced that I was put here to guide young souls (with their sticky little fingers). But her comment did get me thinking about what it is I'm doing here. My life's purpose.

I admit I was stumped, and to be perfectly honest, it made me a little bit embarrassed that at this point in my life I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing. It's probably because I don't read the directions. I digress.

Today, I was on craigslist searching for fun free items, like I do every single day. I stumbled upon these two gems:


They are a FREE set of antique folding chairs (so a bench, really) and a FREE antique table with sexy turned legs. Do you want to see more? Of course you do:





Now... I don't need a table. I also don't need a bench of folding seats. But I'm worried that if I don't sweep in and rescue these items someone else will use them for firewood. GASP.

So I've been hemming and hawing over these FREE items for about an hour now, and have determined that I have to save them and return them to their prior glory with a nice deep stain and a glossy coat of poly. So then, what exactly, does this have to do with my purpose in life?

Can't you tell? I was sent here to rescue history from the clutches of the barbarians who would chop this stuff up and burn it. Honestly, I know it sounds real crazy - but think about how the world would be if someone let the Pope demolish the Colosseum because it was "old" and "in need of repair". Yes, that did almost happen!

So it might not sound as good as being sent here to be a mother, but I don't mind it so much, if my one true purpose on this earth is merely to rescue antiques... future generations of antique lovers and home decor experts will probably thank me someday, they'll throw a parade in my honor because I was "green" and saved some trees by just reusing something old.

Or... they'll call me a crazy old trash-picking pack-rat... which is probably what the Mr. will say when (if) I bring these treasures home. Whatever.

What about you? Have you determined your true purpose in life? Can you fill me in - I'm curious!

1 comment:

  1. I wish someone could just tell me what my purpose is and then I will pursue it! I wonder what percentage of people I am in who at the age of #! haven't figured out what their purpose is - dreadful!

    ReplyDelete