Sunday, January 1, 2012

Pinterest Pursuits Part I - Crafts

How was your Christmas? New Years?

Ours was good... it went by very quickly, as usual. And the Mr. and I both ended up sick...

But a lot was accomplished despite sickness. I went absolutely crazy putting Pinterest to the test, and I do feel a bit satisfied about all of that. I mean seriously, I pin a lot more than I actually will ever attempt to do! But luckily, with all the parties and food, etc, I had a great chance to try out some of the things that I had pinned, so I wanted to share my successes and failures with you.

Part one of my pursuits will be about crafts. Part two will do food. I started to do them in one post together, but it just got excessive, and you know how crazy I go when blog posts start getting too long.

Of all of the Christmas type crafts I pinned, I did not dabble in many. I did try this.


But instead of folding book pages (holy ton of work!) I just used shiny blue cardstock cut into thin strips. I also used my glue gun instead of clamps and elmers. I don't have the time (nor the patience) to deal with elmers. They looked very cute, but I didn't end up using them anywhere. 

I also made this for my co-workers.


It's a pumpkin and brown sugar hand scrub. Overall, a really nice natural recipe that was super affordable to make and then hand out. I ended up adding a lot of raw sugar because I thought it wasn't quite scrubby enough without it. 

Another thing I tried was salt-dough gift tags.


I never used mine. I wasn't happy with the way they turned out. I think I rolled the dough too thin.

I also displayed my Christmas cards on ribbon, except the doors at my house are for built in china storage (that we use as our bar.... what a bunch of lushes?):


I also tried to make a no-sew fleece blanket like this. However, my edges didn't look quite as nice.


Finally, I tried to print on fabric. It didn't work at all! I don't know if it was the thickness of my fabric or what, but my printer just wasn't going to stand for that. But you know me, I don't take "no" for an answer... so I will be trying that again - when I don't have a long to-do list that needs to be accomplished in the next three minutes. Why do I always do that to myself at Christmas?

I'm not going to lie, this post make me feel super useful. Like I'm not just wildly pinning my life away with no end in sight. Hold tight for Part II, FOOD! 

*all of the photos used in this post are directly taken from the links provided above them, and were all brought to my attention via the wonderful world of Pinterest. Follow my pin-happy self here.

No comments:

Post a Comment